Home Shop Links About Contact

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sans Vintage at the 2011 Oscars

Just like I look forward to the Grammy’s every year to see ‘who wore what’ & 'who wore it best', I get just as excited that the Oscars always follow.  However, I was a bit disappointed that the 2011 Oscars were pretty much sans vintage in comparison to years past. It seems as though there were only a handful of female celebs who chose to don themselves in vintage couture or vintage inspired for this extravagant media overloaded event.

Guest host for the evening, Anne Hathaway had many changes throughout the night but the one dress that stuck out for me was the vintage inspired ruby red frock by Valentino that was definitely reminiscent for me of the dress that Marilyn Monroe wore in 'Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend'. I loved the timeless design of this piece.



Academy award winner Marissa Tomei who is well known on the red carpet for having an eye for vintage chose a 1950 couture Charles James dress from ‘Lily et’ cie’ that was navy satin on the top with iridescent plum organza ruffles on the bottom.  I personally did not like her choice this year alongside with the fashion police.



Nominee for best actress in a supporting role, Mila Kunis was my pick this year for best dressed.  She was ethereal in the light lavender lace gown from the Elie Saab Spring 2011 Couture Collection.  This dress was not vintage but totally rocked the vibe.



The most controversial gown of the evening was worn by Livia Firth, wife of Academy award winner for this years best actor for his role in ‘The King’s Speech’.  Livia was draped in a pale hued ‘upcycled’ gown created from 11 recycled vintage dresses from the 1930’s by designer Gary Harvey. The only element new in the whole garment was the thread that was used to stitch it together.


Although I found this dress rather drab, I embrace the statement she was making with her choice to go for the ‘green’ side of design.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I LOVED Annes Red Valentino dress!! Was my fave from the whole night.

SILVIA said...

beautiful post!!!!
love your style!!
follow u now
xoxo